Thursday, December 01, 2005

Thanksgiving...and after

I know that I don't talk in specifics about my son...and where he is or where he is going. He will be deployed within the next couple of months...and that is scary. His job will put him in danger since he is an infantry soldier.

However, due to some good fortune (at least to my way of thinking) he was home unexpectedly for Thanksgiving this year. My son is a drama king when it comes to travel, however. His travel arrangements never work out as planned and this trip was no exception. On the day before Thanksgiving, the busiest travel day of the year, he arrived at the airport 10 minutes AFTER his flight was scheduled to depart, due to car problems. Since there was bad weather in various places in the US, the flight was delayed and he made it home to the most traveled airport in the country. Picking him up was a challenge.

But this year, his chair was occupied at Thanksgiving and for that I am grateful. Too many friends have chairs at their Thanksgiving tables that will be permantly empty.

It is time to bring our soldiers home.

No comments: