Saturday, June 17, 2006

Mom---You gotta help me out!

In our most recent communications, finances were the topic of concern. It seems that my son learned of the recent, severe data breach that occurred in the VA system that placed sensitive personal information for some 26.5 veterans, family members and active duty soldiers at risk.

Of course, we had been aware of it by virtue of the news sources in the US. My husband is a vet who is involved...and my son's information was identified at risk. The soldiers serving in many places are not up on US news for obvious reasons. My son has been remotely located in Afghanistan for months - communication is sketchy at best and often strained because phone calls home are monitored on a 5 second delay using DOD equipment for operational security reasons.

On this issue, however, I was ahead of the game. I had already notified his bank to monitor transactions - specifically withdrawals since there would be few of them. An infantry soldier has little contact with the ATM while doing his job.

It is pretty sad to think that with all of the stresses placed on our service people in dangerous spots in the world, they must be concerned with being ripped off through identity theft because agents of our government lose their personal identification due to incompetence.

No comments: