Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Please Leave a Message

I spent a couple of days feeling kind of guilty. I actually MISSED a couple of calls from my Soldier! (Bad Mom...bad, bad, bad!)

Of course, there is no way to hit redial to Afghanistan...and I am not at my best first thing in the morning especially when traveling. When we got home, the kid placed a call to the home phone very early in the morning - it rings much louder than the cell.

When we finally connected, we discussed a few of the emails we have exchanged in the last few weeks. The first was a confirmation that quite likely, the file on the stolen VA computer was never opened...and all of our financial records were safe. The second was a condition report on a Soldier that was critically hurt in Afghanistan. I had talked to family...and passed the information along. His gym buddy will make it but has a long rehab in front of him.

Then he discussed in broadest terms what is up. The temperatures are very hot, and indeed as the press reports, dehydration requiring the use of IV fluids in the field is pretty commonplace. There is an increase in IED attacks and there is often fierce battles between various units and the Taliban. Due to OPSEC regulations, he is unable to discuss much else - except to say that the mission is quite intense right now.

I can safely make the assumption that the "rocket's red glare" has a whole different meaning in the rugged terrain of Afghanistan than what it has here...as the U.S. celebrates Independance Day.

We made a date for me to buy...two rounds of ice cold beer, when he returns at the dive of his choice, anywhere in the U.S. He laughed hard saying "But Mom, you don't drink." I figure I can evolve. Just no cheap stuff, please.

No comments: